SR22 Insurance California
WHAT IS A CALIFORNIA SR22?
A California SR22 is a financial responsibility certificate that your Auto Insurance Company must file with the Department of Motor Vehicles. This to provide proof of Insurance and to ensure you are insured for the minimum liability limit applicable in the state of California.
There are a few different types of Certificates available.
- An Operators policy certificate which covers the financial responsibility in case the operator does not own a vehicle.
- An Owner’s policy certificate that covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
- A broad coverage policy certificate that covers any financial responsibility for all vehicles owned or non-owned by the motorist.
WHEN IS A SR22 REQUIRED?
The SR-22 financial responsibility insurance form is required for specific drivers in California. The reason may be one of the following:
- You were previously involved in an accident and did not have Insurance.
- If there are any unsatisfied judgment suspensions which you have not paid the applicable compensation.
- You have a restricted California driver’s license or if your license has been revoked.
- If you have been convicted of a DUI, reckless, racing or in some cases, an accumulated number driving infractions.
FILING FOR A SR22 IN CALIFORNIA
- There are mandatory limits of liability that are applicable in California depending on the severity of the circumstances. There is a minimum limit of $15,000 for one accident and the death or injury of one person. If an accident caused the death or injury of two more persons, the limit is $30,000. There is also a minimum $5,000 limit for property damage.
- Once a request is made by a California Insurance Agency, it is sent to a central processing office which will send the SR22 to the DMV within 30 days.
- If the SR22 is approved, you will receive it by mail along with copies of the letter that is sent to the DMV.
- There is a 3 year minimum time limit on the SR22, if it is not maintained; the DMV has the right to suspend your license until the insurance is reinstated.
FEW ADDITIONAL FACTS
- If you move out of California, your driving requirements, you will drive according to state rules.
- A surety bond in the amount of $35,000 may be used in place of the liability Insurance.
- l There may be some confusion -The California SR22 is not an Insurance policy, it is proof that you have an Insurance policy in force.
- In order to reinstate a California Driver’s License, you must, show proof of financial responsibility and pay all charges and fees to your DMV.
- New legislation requires that a DUI offence be shown on your driver’s license for 10 years.
- Always look for an authorized SR22 licensed Insurance Agent.
The SR22 is an extremely important certificate that must be taken seriously. It is a mandatory condition that you need to abide by and is required to get your license reinstated. In California, it is important to know that during the three years required to have the RS22, if a payment is missed for any reason, even the last one, the SR22 will be canceled and you will have to start all over again.
It is a privilege to drive, and filing a SR22 gives you a second chance drive a vehicle again. While the SR22 is required for three years, if you are diligent in paying your premiums and have followed all the regulations, you should have no problems. If not, then you will have to refile the certificate. This would cost you all the fees and penalties for another three years.
As previously mentioned, the best source of information for you, is a California licensed Insurance agent. They are the professionals when it comes to the SR22. They will be able to explain all the details. They will give you a vehicle quotation with the SR22, which in many cases is not really a high rate of Insurance. They will also handle all processing of the SR22 certificate, and make sure you are aware of all the fees and conditions.